Monday, November 5, 2018

Virtual Reality: A Step Through Another Door

Virtual reality provides an opportunity to experience a life that someone else lives. The 360 degree view of the videos was amazing as it allowed me to feel as though I was surrounded and actually living in the setting. However, I think that virtual reality can only go so far as to show what someone’s life is really like. While it seems as though we are engaged in what is happening on the screen, it does not mean that we are actually there experiencing what is actually happening. Some things in the 360 degree view of the migrant experiences would be hard to empathize with fully because we would not have truly gone through the same thing because it’s virtual. For example, the planes in the video that was 11 minutes and 49 seconds an experience that I could definitely sympathize with, but it’s never happened to me so I cannot empathize. Therefore, virtual reality experiences provide an opportunity to be informed about what is happening in other people’s lives, but does not provide the full experience because it is still virtual.

No comments:

Post a Comment