Friday, November 16, 2018

Reaction to Frankenstein

When I signed up to go see Frankenstein I was under the impression that it would be a live play and when I heard it was a puppet show I got a little worried. I didn't think I would like it because it would be too childish because it was a puppet show. Thankfully I was wrong about it being childish but I certainly was not wrong about not liking it. I thought that the music was great and all of the musicians and puppeteers were incredibly talented; however, the acting was very sub-par.

I also did not think that it was a good format to tell an engaging story. I think that while it was cool to see the mechanisms of the show, it was distracting and took attention away from the story and placed it more on the artists and musicians themselves. Changing the styles of storytelling throughout the show also impacted it negatively. The performers chose to switch back and forth from live acting to shadow puppets to drawings and this did not allow the show to maintain a single style. I think that had the entire show been entirely shown through the shadow puppets or entirely drawn it would have been much more interesting and engaging. And I think the show would have been significantly stronger had they not had live acting. 

I wish I could've enjoyed the show more because the story of Frankenstein is a classic, incredible story.

No comments:

Post a Comment