Thursday, November 15, 2018

Frankenstein: Let your eyes wander

For me I truly enjoyed the near entirety of the performance. I didn't think there were any parts that dragged on, or at the least those parts were eclipsed by being able to see the inner workings of the performance. That is what this performance excelled in.

In a movie you get what you see and nothing more. All that will be revealed is laid out on the screen. If the movie were to drag on or bore you there isn't much you could do besides leave or hope the movie changes. This is not the case with the performance of Frankenstein my class recently saw. Should you have been bored by what was on the screen there was a whole ensemble of things going on to hold your attention. There was the live music to lose yourself in. You could watch each musician moving between instruments as they filled the soundscape with effects and melodies. Or perhaps the mechanical arms that played hanging glass bottles could hold your attention. If the puppetry on the screen didn't grasp you there was of course the cast of puppeteers acting as one cohesive unit to watch. To watch them flow from what appeared to be countless puppets and detailed costumes was in it self a wonderful performance.

If the story didn't entertain you I can understand that. However, if you said that the whole performance held little interest to you then I'd have to say you must have been watching some other show.

2 comments:

  1. I was surprised with the performance, but agree that it was the most interesting. Originally when we were told that puppets were involved in the production, I can say that most of my friends were confused and thought all of the puppets were going to look like the ones on Sesame Street. However, we were shocked to see how interesting and creative the show was. I agree that having the different ways to interact with the audience made it more entertaining and interesting. Even though there was no speaking, they made sure that the audience felt empathy and other emotions throughout the show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you. When I first walked in the different setups and instruments on the stage instantly drew my attention, and it confused me a bit. However, after the performance began to move along, I found it truly engaging. Instead of just watching a screen in an auditorium and calling it "theater", we got to see all the different instruments and equipment that went in to creating the live movie, which was so much more captivating. All these aspects of a show that are usually behind scenes were brought out, giving a more interactive and engaging flow to the audience, which was excellently done.

    ReplyDelete