Sunday, November 25, 2018

Who Can Really See Ghosts?

Who can see ghosts? Are they even real? Toni Morrison, the author of Beloved seems to think that ghosts are real. She uses the main characters haunted house to drive the plot. Even part way through the book we are introduced to one of her characters who seems to even act like a ghost. Thinking of this character and this haunted house has led me to wonder if I can see ghosts or even who can see ghosts.

I have always wondered if my dog could see ghosts. The way that the hair on her back lifts as she stares at the door even when nothing is there always makes me wonder if there is a ghost there. My dog seems to stare at something even when it is clearly not there.

I think the prevalence of ghosts in this book and in the world is extremely interesting. I think it gets people wondering on if they are real or not and even what their actions or consequences can be. I really wonder if my dog can see ghosts sometimes but in the end who really knows?

2 comments:

  1. I think it's interesting how you talk about the presence of ghosts in Beloved. I think that the ghosts in the story represent the ghosts of the past that come back to haunt formerly enslaved people. It's hard to move on from the extreme emotional and physical pain caused by slavery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete