Friday, November 16, 2018

Understanding of the doors

I wanted to write about how Mohsin Hamid introduced the doors throughout the book. The first time we see the doors is in the women's bedroom in Australia. I was so confused when I read the passage because how could this guy just come out of a closet. I re read the passage a few times because I thought I missed something. Hamid has a few more random door scenes in the beginning of the book and I was still confused. When Nadia and Saeed go through the door I was still very confused. I also re read that a few times. It wasn't until they left the Island and went to England that I got that it was a portal they were going through. I had one of those "mind blown" moments and all the prior door moments made sense all of a sudden which was really satisfying.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  2. I was also confused in the beginning as to what the doors actually were. I appreciate the mystery of it because I think that
    "aha" moment not only added an element of mystery to the story, but it also really allowed the readers to immerse themselves in the shocking experience of stepping through the doors into a whole new world.

    ReplyDelete