Friday, November 2, 2018

A Glimpse Into Their World

Using Virtual Reality to gain perspective into what life can look like for a refugee was well worth using a class period in the makerspace. Despite the difficulties that some students faced, whether they did not have headphones, they struggled to set up the video, or got a headache from video format, I believe the end result and impact outweighed all other frustrations. The biggest impact watching "The Displaced" video had on me were the effects it had on my senses and emotional responses. When the video began, I was “standing” amidst the remnants of what looked like a school building. I became panicked, forgetting that I was actually sitting in a chair in the safe environment of my own school. Later, I appeared to be in a boat, traveling through a swamp with a girl who lost her mother amongst a lot of commotion. My mind began to race thinking of how we were going to survive living there. Again, I forgot that I was not actually in her shoes.

These are real people in real situations. They do not have the option to take off a headset and be transported to a more comfortable environment. I think that using this technology allowed for people to acquire a better understanding of what people's lives can look like, but then our experience ends. The people in these videos will have these memories forever. I think this was the first step in expanding our view, but it is also important to take what you have learned and apply it to life. That can be by informing others of what’s going on the world or continuing to use your knowledge to find ways to help.



3 comments:

  1. I agree, the VR really brought everything to life. You make a powerful point about we being able to take off the headset and we are still in our comfortable environment, but for the people in the video, that is their reality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that I was a worthwhile experience despite the negative effects on certain students. It was only a way to see what was going on, not how it feels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that we as a society need to learn about the experiences people with different backgrounds have. VR was an immersive experience that helped me get a better understanding of the plight of other people.

    ReplyDelete