Friday, November 2, 2018

Virtual Reality Journey

My period 7 AP English class participated in a virtual reality journey this Monday. In this class, we are reading the book, Exit West by Mohsin Hamid. This book takes place in a country on the brink of a civil war. Though we do not know the exact country, It is safe to say it is somewhere in the middle east. In the book, two young people meet and develop a relationship together in the midst of this battlefield. In order to a get a proper understanding of the circumstances they are under we were put into a scene quite similar.
It was very intriguing for me to experience this culture shock, I have been to many different countries before, but nothing like the one I dove into this past Monday. On this endeavor, I got to walk around the neighborhood. Although, in order to walk around and explore I had to walk around in real life. I was so curious that I ended up accidentally walking into a few walls of the room my class was in. Also, I got to listen to a woman speak about what it was like to live in a country bound by war. She spoke about some of the biggest struggles, like keeping her children safe. At one point in the virtual reality experience, the viewer got to see and feel what it was like to ride in a car in a country like this where cars are not common.
Ultimately, having the opportunity to experience the virtual reality journey helped me and my fellow classmates gain a better understanding of what the Saeed and Nadia's (main characters in Exit West) lives were like.

No comments:

Post a Comment