Sunday, November 18, 2018

Frankenstein Manual Cinema Experience Review

On Thursday November 15, I went with other English students and saw the play, Frankenstein. The book was written by Mary Shelly but the play was devised by Drew Dir, Sarah Fornace, and Julia Miller. At first I was told it was going to be a puppet play and I thought that it was going to be hand puppets and it got me really discouraged. Once the play started I realized that it was more than hand puppets. It was super interesting to see how everything was open to the audience. There was a big screen which you could view the play from or you could see the play piece by piece on stage. It was like a silent film, with paper puppets, filming with shadows, and filming in black and white. There was no talking script so the music took it's place. I found it amazing that the music brought out the tone for the specific scenes. The play was very intriguing and portrayed the more important details of the book. Though some scenes of the book were cut out, it still followed the story line and the audience could follow along without having to have read the book beforehand. Overall the play was fantastic and I loved it. I would love to see more adaptations of other plays and books in this form of art.

1 comment:

  1. What did you think of the intersection of video and real-life action? I didn't see the play, was the performance a combination of both media and the arts, or was the video an separate way to see the puppets?

    ReplyDelete