Friday, November 16, 2018

Exit West Soundtrack

The perfect song for the intense refugee story that Exit West embodies is Should I Stay or Should I Go by The Clash.  This song reminds me of Exit West because the main chorus to the song is, "Should I stay or should I go now?  If I go there will be trouble and if I stay it will be double.  So come on and let me know."  This chorus relates to the story because Nadia and Saeed are refugees that are on the run from violence in their home city and then face more of it in the refugee camp while in London.  They face potential violence from one another but also locals who do not support them inhabiting their land.  When The Clash sings about trouble if they go I think about the fact that no matter where Nadia and Saeed run to they are faced with violence and discrimination from locals and police.  However, if Nadia and Saeed stay in their city then the trouble will seemingly be double and they will likely die due to the civil war. 

The Clash also says "One day its fine and the next it's black."  This line can explain the sudden twists ad turns that Nadia and Saeed face while living in an unpredictable and dangerous environment.  When I heard this line I thought of when Saeeds mother died due to the stray bullet.

3 comments:

  1. I liked the idea that you had there! I could see the song being used in the book as Nadia and Saeed never really feel safe wherever they stay

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really cool that you thought of a song that could go with the book, I think The Clash would work perfectly with Exit West and the story it's trying to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Added to the playlist: https://open.spotify.com/user/bheidkamp/playlist/7zV977JCJGibf9UQhhu4wg?si=nEuIT9ZSSKaXSUtnUfPQrw

    It also works because of the Clash's London/British roots.

    ReplyDelete