Thursday, November 15, 2018

An Honest Review of Frankenstein

After seeing the "play" Frankenstein" with my English class, I wasn't initially sure about how I felt about it. My only background knowledge on the story was a basic, online summary which I read the day before seeing it. Although I'm a huge fan of art and creativity, I found myself a bit lost in this performance of the world renown story. I was extremely fascinated and left in awe by the high level of creativity that the performers displayed when performing for my class. I completely respect the skill and work that they put into their unique and independent project, but for me, I just wasn't able to really get into the story.

The main problem was that I kept getting distracted by the puppeteers and projector-controllers. I would find myself looking at them rather than what they were creating in the story. I understand this could very much be a "me problem," but it unfortunately took away from my understanding of the story because I would literally miss chunks of it. The exposure of the process of making the story is actually really interesting and fun to watch, but it personally made it harder for me to enjoy the actual story of Frankenstein.

Again, I want to stress that I really respect and enjoy seeing the work the performers and staff did for Frankenstein. I thought the artwork was amazing, the set was charming, the live music was great, and the unique process of performance was also fascinating. Truthfully, I just struggled paying attention to the screen where the story was told, and I feel I missed out on what everyone says was an awesome story.

5 comments:

  1. I found it to be distracting at times too but I really appreciate all the unique and creative ways they made this play their own. You can really tell how much dedication went into the preparation for the show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, when I was watching it I found myself looking at the musicians running around and the people setting up props for projectors instead of the actual story, and it caused me to miss a large chunk of what was going on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also found it hard to stay concentrated on the projector screen because I found it so interesting to watch hoe they made it. I also believe that they knew that would happen during and that is why there is no dialogue, so the audience can watch them make it and still try to understand what is happening thorough action.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Initially I wasn't sure how I felt about the whole experience, since I'm and most people are use to traditional theater, but I eventually adjusted to the innovative performance and began to enjoy it. I do understand your attitude towards it, which is totally reasonable, since it was unorthodox, but I also agree with you that they put it so much work and effort into their process, that even if you weren't as engaged into the performance, it's still important to respect the work that they put in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you! But that’s what made me love the story. I came in with a solid understanding of Frankenstein so for me it was fun to appreciate the precision and creativity rather than the story. I foujd myself being so into the process that the moment where I focused on the story were more impactful because I knew the sheer amount of work that went into it.

    ReplyDelete