Saturday, November 17, 2018

VR response

Sitting in the Makerspace in class on Monday, I wondered what it was like to actually live your entire life in the situation these people are in. Then, I realized what I was wearing. I was safe inside a well-funded school, wearing a virtual reality headset, connected to my iPhone, with Bose headphones plugged in, wearing my properly fitting clothes, after just finishing a hearty lunch. Not only that, but most of these things I usually take for granted because I've become so accustomed to having them in my life.

While VR does a good job actually portraying what is happening in these individuals lives, we are unable to even come close to understand how it feels. While wearing the goggles, we are immersed in a war-torn, impoverished, under-fed culture whereas most of us have never had to worry about our next meal. We are only able to sympathize for these people and will never be able to empathize.

No comments:

Post a Comment