Wednesday, November 28, 2018

The Uncomfortable-ness of Beloved

THIS IS A SPOILER---- Just a warning. 
Throughout the entire time I knew the character Beloved, I was uncomfortable. I brought this discomfort up to my seventh period English class, but to no avail, we only discussed her sex scene with Paul D. Beloved the character, (though she truly was a rapist to Paul D), gave me total sicko-rapist vibes throughout the entire book. Her demeanor, her appearance, the way Morrison described her, and the way other character's described her reminded me of a socio-path. She came across as sweet and loving, when truly she was disconnected from all the characters except one, her mother. The mother who NOT TO MENTION was her murderer. And her mother who Beloved also had intentions of killing/ ruining her life. So that part got me off to a bad start, but then the whole death allusions and descriptive chapter from the perspective of Beloved where she talks about attempting to gnaw off someone's face, but it was actually her own face, was also totally creepy and perverted to me. And not to mention how the women who come in a group of 30 to the house to pray for Sethe/ (maybe?) fight off Beloved describe her is totally insane. In describing her as clever because she appeared pregnant and had a dazzling smile, I was once again reminded how disturbing (and sinister) Beloved as a character is. I almost wish we could have seen into Beloved's mind more than simply the chapter at the end, because I am so fascinated to hear Beloved's desires/ why she does what she does, but it also terrifies me to even think about her perspective.

2 comments:

  1. I thought she was suspicious when she fist came on the scene, I wanted to hear what she was thinking because she seems like suc a complex character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read a lot of the passages with Beloved in them I also felt uncomfortable. I thought that there was something strange going on with her but I couldn't quite identify it.

    ReplyDelete