Friday, November 2, 2018

Response to VR

My response to the virtual reality was mostly to the cinematic techniques. I believe that virtual reality gives us something literature cannot: the visual stimulus of a specific moment, but this has to be done a certain way for it to work. The location and people around you have to evoke a certain set of emotions.

I believe this was done well in a scene where it was almost completely dark, but you could still make out figures coming toward you or walking past you. This made me curious and also a bit afraid because I couldn't understand what was happening. Given that this virtual reality video was created to emphasize the perspective of children, I could understand why the creators would want to evoke this emotion in the audience. Children often don't understand everything in the world around them and can become easily frightened or confused. Therefore, this moment put you in the shoes of a specific child going through a migrant experience.

The scene on the boat was also very well done for similar reasons. The imagery of being so close to the water and seeing a young person steering the boat made me a bit nervous. Just given that I didn't know why any of this was happening. But, being close to the water evoked a curiosity natural to a child and allowed me to see from their perspective better than if I just read their story on paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment