Thursday, November 15, 2018

A New Frankenstein

The play Frankenstein was unlike anything I'd ever seen before. What struck me the most was how every event occurred on stage including puppeteering, costume changes, and musical performance. First, it really fascinated me how much the music was able to immerse the audience. I found myself continuously being reminded that there was live music, not just a recording, each time the music shifted or a new instrument was introduced. I appreciated the unique instruments they played and the creative ways they places them, creating sounds I'd never heard from those instruments before. However, I found this easily distracting and I often missed out on the performance on screen, causing me to loose the story line at points.

I also really loved the creativity displayed in the play. From the wide variety of puppets and costumes, it was clear a lot of hard work and dedication went into creating this play. The most interesting thing about the puppeteering for me was the inclusion of real people in front of the camera or projector, acting as puppets. When I first heard the play was actually more of a puppet show, I imagined makeshift sock puppets in a window, definitely not human actors. I thought having actors act out specific scenes was a really interesting and new form of puppeteering.

Finally, the small cast was really impressive. Throughout the performance, it seemed that every member of the cast was involved in using the projectors, acting, helping with props, or playing music. It was really interesting to see how many people were involved in the making of one scene and I think in movies and plays nowadays we have come to under appreciate that.

No comments:

Post a Comment