Friday, November 16, 2018

Frankenstein Reimagined

Before going on the field trip this past week for English, I had only read Frankenstein in my sophomore English class. Of course, it was a book for school and I had to read it, so it wasn't necessarily my favorite right off the bat. However, after attending the play version of the book, I had a totally new found appreciation for Mary Shelley and the incredible story she told.

What I enjoyed most about the play was the glimpse into the creation of the book itself before diving into the actual story. I had no idea why Mary Shelley had chosen to write a piece of work such as Frankenstein, or where one even manages to come up with an idea like that in the first place. I think it's important to know and understand the history behind the art in order to gain a fuller understanding of it.

I also had a deep appreciation of the fact that no dialogue was used in the play. When art is created off of other art, it is necessary to revolutionize the final product as much as your creativity allows. The absence of dialogue was a sure fire way to keep the audience engaged in what was happening, while at the same time letting their minds fill in the blanks where dialogue may have otherwise been used instead. I would highly recommend seeing a silent play, especially one such as Frankenstein, which guarantees your mind will be in for a wild ride.

2 comments:

  1. I wasn't able to attend the play, so I'm wondering how anyone was able to recreate a story without using any dialogue. It doesn't seem like an ideal way to represent a story, but what would I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree I don't think I could ever sit through two hours of a play without dialogue, but I'm glad to see that it ran so fluid and everyone enjoyed it. This makes me want to go to the next play

    ReplyDelete