Friday, November 2, 2018

Shatila refugee camp



The video I watched was Lives on Hold in Lebanon, which was looking at the refugee camp Shatila refugee camp located in Beirut, Lebanon. The camp was established in 1949 and originally held 3,000 refugees, but now it holds around 40,000. The camp has buildings and has a whole community inside of it. Unfortunately the camp is in deep poverty and has dangerous living quarters. The wiring that is set up in the camp is very dangerous because people can be shocked at any time and in the case of a short circuit, a house could burn down. The camp also suffer from disease outbreak, lacks basic infrastructure and need more water and sanitation services. I was unable to watch my video in VR because I only got too use it a lot bit in class, so I decided to just use a new video, but the specific times in the video that really got to me were when they got shots of the conditions of the streets and the interviews that they had with the people who lived there. The technique of having different people talk about their story was a main thing that also helped really get me into the video. The biggest “wow” moment for me was just the fact that people have to live this way for so long because a country is at war for such a long period. There was one man who was talking about the lifestyle of the camp and he was born their which is insane to think about coming from where we live and the privileges we have living in a suburb like Oak Park seems light years away from any type of war.

No comments:

Post a Comment