Thursday, November 1, 2018

Stepping Into Their Reality

The biggest "wow" moment for me was when I was watching, rather experiencing the first VR video, The Displacedand I was able to see the different little kids who were alone, with no parents to look after them. It was cool, but a little depressing. We got the chance to see what those people's lives are like on a daily basis. Even though we got a slight glimpse of what it's like there, we're not actually there. We're very privileged and have advantages that those people don't have. While watching the video, I felt guilty and responsible in a way. I felt guilty for obvious reasons, I have things they don't. For instance, a home to live in. Their lives are full of struggle, when all I had to do was turn off the video and it was over. I was able to go back to a good life. They can't go anywhere because that is their reality. I felt responsible because we have everything in this country, they have nothing. I felt like we needed to give back to those who are less fortunate.


2 comments:

  1. I really like the point you made about we can view their lives, and the just click off of the video and our life is the same. These people have their life in danger every day, and we will never be able to feel what they go through because we have so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with this. There is such a barrier between us viewers and the migrants, not only in terms of distance, and cultural differences, but also through the literal VR screen. The privilege here is very clear, and, in my opinion, it makes us further away from achieving empathy. We only see them as having less money, less resources, less less less, completely discounting their strengths and perpetuating their otherization.

    ReplyDelete