Thursday, November 1, 2018

My VR Refugee Experience

I thought that the virtual reality experience was very interesting and definitely had an impact on me but at the same time I was fidgeting with my phone, thinking about how I didn't have my earbuds with me and how some scenes were not up to high definition quality.  These are my problems but when I really dove in to the virtual reality experience I found bigger problems that needed to be addressed.

It was definitely hard for me to place myself in these refugees shoes because I was "seeing" what they were going through but not feeling what they were going through.  I can sympathize and feel for the refugees in the virtual reality videos and for Nadia and Saeed in Exit West but I won't understand any of the back story.  Videos and books are up to interpretation and that's what makes them so powerful but the power of them only ingrains itself into my mind so far because I can not relate to the stories that are being told.  I think that the stories of the Refugees in The Displaced were very insightful and heart wrenching but I missed all of the small details.  Some details that I undoubtedly missed could be, what used to be these children's towns, what do the children need for survival and what kind of lives did these children live before they became refugees?  These are critical questions but at the same time only the individual living their life can answer them accurately.  If these kids witnessed my earbud misplacement crisis it would effect them all differently and in a unique way.  At the same time I am seeing their legitimate crisis and am able to feel sympathy but I have no idea what is really going on, physically and mentally.

The virtual reality experience definitely sheds light on these young boys and girls dire state.  The videos make me want to take action and to help.  I want to give my support but from the virtual reality standpoint I think that I still can not relate in the slightest to these refugees.  I feel sympathy for them and have the ability see what they see everyday, but I will never be able to show empathy and really make a strong connection to them unless I step into their minds.


No comments:

Post a Comment