Thursday, November 1, 2018

Virtual Reality is Reality

During my virtual reality experience, I chose to watch “Crossing the Line: Untold Stories of Refugees Stuck At The Border”. This video personally touched me because it included a story about refugees from Honduras. Over the last four years of my life, I’ve traveled to Honduras on a mission trip where we volunteer at a variety of orphanages and build relationships with the kids. Because I have this tie to Honduras, I felt a personal connection to these refugees because I have seen and heard about the poverty and injustice of their country.

The most striking aspect is how unwilling the United States is to welcome in the refugees who are coming from nothing, with hopes of a better life. Through my mission trip program, some children from the orphanages, once they turn 18, are given the opportunity to come to the United States and stay with a volunteer family while they attend college. I’ve always felt that this was an amazing opportunity that anyone should be able to receive, so I’m deeply saddened when I see that these refugees will not even be given citizenship, let alone an education and the means to excel in the country.

2 comments:

  1. How do you plan to make an impact on this "unfair" system? Do you plan to host any children? There are different ways of approaching this, making more personal fixes for the individual families, or through a legislative route, attempting to change the opportunities refugees have in America.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with this and find it sad that we are so harsh against refugees. I think the connection to Honduras is very interesting and and a unique experience.

    ReplyDelete