Thursday, October 6, 2016

The Adult Male Inside of a Circular Material

"The Man In The Ring" offered an insightful view on the life of Emile Griffith. Coming into the play I had little to no expectations. However, I quickly went from not knowing what to expect to being absolutely amazed by the superior acting, play writing, and everything in between.

Although it was all terrific, one of the things I was most astonished by was the lighting. During the scene in which Emile and Benny were dueling it out in the ring, the lights shut out, but quickly turned back on in a strobe-like fashion. I thought this was a fantastic way to carry out the fight, although it did leave me on the edge of my seat. Also, I thought that the rape scene, when they cut out all of the lights except for Emile's face, reached a new level of emotions that I never could of expected.

Overall "The Man In The Ring" was a beautiful play that really did a great job at tugging at my heart stings. It dealt with sexuality, insecurity, friendship, and more. I thought the character development over the course of the play was phenomenal as well. I recommend this play to anyone, and I hope to see it again for myself in the future.


1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with the lighting. The story itself is a masterpiece of its own but the addition of the technical effects made it that more powerful. The use of lighting and sound has so much more impact on your emotions than some people may think. I love when a show drags you in and keeps you on the edge of your seat wanting more. It's intoxicating.

    ReplyDelete