Tuesday, October 4, 2016

That Morning Funeral Face

On page 47 Marie comments, "My cigarette tasted bitter. Marie made fun of me because, she said I had on a "Funeral Face" She had put on a white line dress and let her hair down."

At this point in the story I see some irony in Camus' writing and his character Meursault. It was specifically during his mothers funeral Meursault looked the least like a mourner out of anyone there. I find it quite strange that Meursault couldn't mourn at his own mothers funeral but he sure could wake up looking like one according to Marie. He was nothing compared to the people crying beside her coffin at his mothers vigil, but in the morning he was? Many guest misunderstood what Meursaults act of mourning was during his mothers funeral. In fact, he couldn't stand the long hours of being uncomfortable and embarrassed. He was only mourning in the sense that he was wasting the whole day. I still find it rather weird that he was considered to have a "Funeral Face" during the morning but nothing like that during his mothers funeral. This may just be the kind of strange character Meursault is.

No comments:

Post a Comment