Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Does Any of It Matter?


"Looking back on it, I wasn't unhappy. When I was a student, I had lots of ambitions like that. But when I had to give up my studies I learned quickly that none of it really mattered" (41).

Finally a little explanation and insight into Meursaul's apparent indifference and apathy. Or even if he doesn't actually explain why he is so full of indifference here, he at least acknowledges it. Through the book, we've seen a character that just seems to go along with where things take him and give way to the outside influences that seem to direct the focus of his life more than any conscious decision he makes.  Whether it be Meursault's willingness to marry a girlfriend he doesn't love because she suggests it or succumbing to the pressures that make him kill the man on the beach.

This quote offers the idea that Meursault's indifference is not an innate character trait but maybe the result of a a series of events that caused him to lose his optimism and drive. Maybe I am making too much of this one quote that is really just an explanation of his lack of career motivation, something that is not at all unique to Mersault, but common to many people who are not absorbed by their job. But the fact that it is followed by Mersault's apathetic attitude towards his relationship with Marie and his willingness to marry he despite this, makes me think that this offers an explanation of the general attitude of Marsault's that nothing matters and that this attitude of his can be used to understand his actions throughout the story including the dramatic end to Part I.


4 comments:

  1. I agree. However, considering this quote in Part 2 of the book, it definitely seems like Meursault is starting to believe that things do matter. He seemed very tense and anxious about the ongoing trial and he originally found it difficult to think in terms of a prisoner, however he eventually was able to. I still don't see 100% commitment in his feelings, but I definitely think that it is developing more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you have the right idea as to why Meursault is the way he is. It is a huge deal that he recognizes his disconnection from his feelings and emotion since the beginning of the book seems to focus on his lack of caring for anything around him with no reason at all. While I am not entirely sure as to why he lost all of his ambition in life, it is definitely important that he recognizes that this happened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that something must have happened to make Meursault the way he is, and this quote makes me think we'll learn about his backstory later in the book. It is also interesting to think about what could make him give up his studies. Maybe he had to drop out to take care of his sick mother since she used to live with him? That could partly explain why their relationship was so sour.

    ReplyDelete