Thursday, October 20, 2016

I Kind Of Wish I Was Sisyphus

My first read through "The Myth of Sisyphus," I didn't understand much of what Camus was trying to tell his readers. Why was it supposedly so nice to spend eternity giving every ounce of your strength to something you knew would never go anywhere? I read it several more times and discussed it with a competent English class and it made more sense, but I didn't agree with Camus.

After more time passed and I stopped thinking about "The Myth of Sisyphus," I realized rather suddenly what Camus meant and I actually agree with him on some points. If I were in Sisyphus' shoes, I would be pretty happy. Not having to eat, drink, sleep, or worry about actually accomplishing my only task would be a huge relief. There would be nothing to do but think and with no doubts about death or the meaning of life (after all, what meaning could life have beyond rolling the boulder?) I would be free of worry. With no one to bother me, I could think up great stories and keep my mind active. Also, rolling a massive boulder for an eternity is bound to get you in great shape.

Not so bad, in the end. But there would be no end.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you completely. I don't completely understand how Sisyphus could be the happiest person alive if his only purpose is to push a rock up a mountain for eternity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree with what you are saying if all Sisyphus had ever done in his life was roll the boulder up the hill. However, he had lived a life in the real world, fallen in love, and even escaped the underworld to spend more time on earth where he could be free. To someone who loves the real world enough to go through all of that, being sentenced to eternal groundhog day with no chance of ever accomplishing the one thing you are allowed to do seems like it would be torture rather than relief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Part of me agrees that lack of true responsibility would be nice, but the other part of me thrives on accomplishment and change in my daily routine, even if the changes are very minor.

    ReplyDelete