Thursday, October 20, 2016

Matthew vs. Meursault: Battle of the Existentialists

As I watched Trust I tried to see how it ties into The Stranger. I began to see similarities between Matthew and Meursault. And then I thought about it and decided the similarities were merely on the surface.

Sure, both characters show little emotions. Neither one of them believes in this so called love. Both men seemingly do not care about the world around them. But something seemed off when we began to watch Trust.

I do believe that Meursault is what the definition of existentialism is. I understand how Camus would want to show his existential beliefs through his character. But that is not the point I am trying to make.

I do not think that Trust really represents an existentialist point of view. Specifically, in Matthew. On the surface, yes, he does not believe in a lot of what society says he should. But, then he meets Maria. He allows her to stay in his house, he wants to get her out of an abusive household, and he wants to marry Maria. All of those things say he cares for her. You do not help someone you just met that you do not care for. He may say he does not love her, but the foundation of what society calls love is there. Matthew sacrificed himself for another human. I believe that is something an existentialist might not do. As someone who does play into the love idea, I would struggle to have the heart Matthew does with Maria. Unless I deeply learned to "love" her.

As far as existentialists go, I think Meursault has won.

No comments:

Post a Comment