Monday, October 17, 2016

"Stranger Danger" Fears

I find Camu's belief that life is pointless - and to achieve meaning or "true happiness," means coming to terms with the mundane nature of the regularity of every day life, rather depressing. To me, Meursault is the epitome of someone I would never want to become, Camu has created someone that I tend to lose sympathy for as the novel progresses.

Part of me wonders what Camu's goal was in creating this character - someone that the reader felt connected to, and thus felt overwhelmed with pity when he was sentenced to a depressing death? Or someone the reader scoffs at, feeling relief that Meursault seems to be getting his due?

I do see obvious signs that society is punishing Meursault for staying true to his convictions - for being lifeless and unfeeling in a emotion-filled world. But I also see Meursault at fault. I cannot feel totally bad for Meursault because I do not see him as the "hero" in the story. He is still someone who kills another man, one that does not think about his actions, and someone I would never want to become or even associate with.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very much agree with this, but sort of was too afraid to say it! Does this mean I am a bad literary critic who just does not understand the true essence of the stranger? Maybe! But I most definitely do not want to live a life of complete indifference. He does not seem to care what happens to him, and I understand that is supposed to be the fullest of lives, but I sort of like my emotions! Is that a bad thing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with this because I refuse to think that life is meaningless! I understand that Camus may be trying to make a bold statement about existentialism, but I believe that we shouldn't define out life by the failures but by both failures and happy moments in our life. Maybe that's corny, but I like optimism better than pessimism.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with this because I refuse to think that life is meaningless! I understand that Camus may be trying to make a bold statement about existentialism, but I believe that we shouldn't define out life by the failures but by both failures and happy moments in our life. Maybe that's corny, but I like optimism better than pessimism.

    ReplyDelete