Sunday, October 16, 2016

Analyzing Our Captivating Class Discussion on "The Treadmill of Life"

A bit unexpectedly, last week in class we had an interesting class discussion. The topic varied at times but generally it was about "the meaning of life." I thought that there were ties to The Stranger in the sense that Meursault does not follow the typical life of those around him. Meursault is a great example of someone who does not follow "The Treadmill of Life" (I interpret this as someone who follows a unique path in life, one that was not expected to be followed by peers or society.)
I really enjoyed this conversation because I think it is timely for all of us seniors applying to colleges. Not attending a college next year is a bold move, there is so much risk because if for someone reason the career path you choose does not work out you are at such a disadvantage. When applying for a job there will likely be a lot of people competing for it who have a college degree. Yet so many of the great pioneers and entrepreneurs in human history did not graduate college (Steve Jobs, Richard Branson, and Bill Gates to name a few.) Yes of course I will admit these people are genius of their own right, they had a plan that did not require college. 
While I like to think of myself as someone who takes risks and trys new things, I do not have the guts to not go to college. I don't have a plan for what I would like to do with my life yet so it would probably not be the smartest decision to not go next year, but still it is such an interesting idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment