Thursday, October 6, 2016

Loss of Love

"I probably did love Maman, but that didn't mean anything. At one time or another all normal people have wished their loved ones were dead," (page 65).
"Without working up to it, he asked if I loved Maman. I said, 'Yes, the same as anyone,'" (page 67).

From the very beginning of "The Stranger", Meursault has always been a distant character. At Maman's funeral he denied the opportunity to have the coffin unsealed and even admitted that he was too tired to even pay attention to the service. This distance he created from his Maman not only catches my eye but also the magistrate's. During Meursault's interview alone with the magistrate, the magistrate harshly questions if Meursault even loved his mother and even questioned Meursault's faith. Meursault simply states that he loves his mother like anyone else would and that he does not believe in God.

This lack of emotions for his mother amplifies that maybe Meursault truly cannot or does not want to feel love. I personally believe that Meursault does not want to feel love. In part one whenever Meursault is with Marie and she asks if he loves her, he simply says he does not think so. At a first glance it may be easy to see that Meursault can not love but when Marie and Meursault are in the kitchen together, Marie laughs and Meursault randomly kisses her. I see this random kiss as an act of love. Meursault would not randomly kiss Marie for laughing if he did not love her. I believe that Meursault's denial of being in love with Marie is also a reflection on his love for his mother. Maybe Meursault rejects the idea of love because he cannot truly understand his own emotions.


3 comments:

  1. Great post Caddy! I agree with you, I think it is just a part of Meursault's character to deny feelings for anyone else. This may be a defense or coping mechanism in order to protect his own feelings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Meursault's avoidance of emotional situations is probably a way for him to escape the pain that comes with them. Meursault doesn't develop strong connections with others because he doesn't want to have to feel for people.

      Delete
  2. I agree that Meursault feels love toward Marie. I disagree, however, that he is in denial of these feelings. I think he might just not perceive and label the feelings as love; instead, he simply allows them to happen and acts on them when he feels the urge.

    ReplyDelete