Sunday, October 23, 2016

Trust Me, I Will Catch You

Recently in my English class, we watched the movie Trust from 1990.
The best part of the movie, in my opinion, is when Matthew tries to find a job that will suit him. He is very intelligent and capable man but he cannot emotionally work with a television. He hates TVs. After he meets Maria he decides to take the job of fixing TVs because he wants to have a family with Maria, therefore, he must be responsible and bring money to the family. After a while of forcing himself working on something, he despises he noticeably changes.
Maria: Can you stop watching TV for a minute?
Matthew: No.
Maria: Why?
Matthew: Because. I had a bad day at work. I had to subvert my principles and kowtow to an idiot. Television makes these daily sacrifices possible. Deadens the inner core of my being.
Many people do have bad days at work because of unfair treatment. The company he works for can definitely use his brain and improve their production but instead, he's forced to do the mindless work of putting the parts together. He became so numb from his jobs that he watches the TV he despises so much to forget the bad day at his job.
Maria: Your job is making you boring and mean.
Matthew: My job is making me a respectable member of society.
Even right now many people work on the jobs they despise because of the society expectation or the money needs. People are ruined by the jobs they do not enjoy. Matthew making the same sacrifice for someone he respects and admires, Maria.
There is a lot of examples from our daily lives that we do not notice or refuse to accept. That is why the movie is weird and disturbing to watch.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on this, but what struck me even harder was the fact that Matthew seemed to have more potential than he was letting on, leading me to believe that he was limited by something else, most likely his father. The guy has some serious issues with self-definition.

    ReplyDelete