Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Not in Kansas Anymore

"On my way out I was even going to shake his hand, but just in time, I remembered that I had killed a man" (Camus 64).

Meursault, in a matter of a few hours, transformed from a numb, indifferent almost apathetic young man into a numb, indifferent mostly apathetic young man and a murderer. Is there nothing this man won't do? Is there nothing that bothers him? Even in prison, he is nonchalant and unchanging. He ended another human being's life and acts as though he simply enjoyed a pleasant day on the beach. The only slight difference in his mannerisms with regards to the killing is his acknowledgement of how his presence affects others. He is keenly aware that people might be inclined to feel uncomfortable around killers, however feels no internal remorse of his own.

Perhaps what Meursault was craving is structure. The activities of his day to day life (besides work, which he has revealed on multiple occasions that he doesn't care about) are hardly ever planned out and never seem to peak his interest. In prison, he encounters a regimented schedule and consistent human contact with people he values and respects. And you know what, more power to him, I say. This man is clearly not in touch with normal human social emotions and if prison is where he feels most comfortable then there he shall thrive.

4 comments:

  1. I really like how you analyzed Meursault's actions and thoughts after he was in prison. I didn't really think about this part that much, but I realize know how important it is that he realizes that people's perception of him might change. I think that his thoughts could signify a change in Meursault's character for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You provided a great argument about Meursault's character that I hadn't considered before. I also noticed how before he didn't seem to have a set schedule and tended to just meander around participating in activities that didn't seem to interest him much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You provided a great argument about Meursault's character that I hadn't considered before. I also noticed how before he didn't seem to have a set schedule and tended to just meander around participating in activities that didn't seem to interest him much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you in that Meursault does need structure in his life. He refuses the new job in Paris in order to maintain the structure of his life.

    ReplyDelete