Thursday, October 20, 2016

The Solo Life is the Only Life?

You can succeed in life!  As long as you detach yourself from everyone and everything.  Our recent class discussion about life's "deceptions" such as love, family, happiness, etc. left me at a stand still.  Essentially, everything we have been taught that is important in our lifetime means nothing.  They are pointless distractions.  My whole life, especially the last few years, I've been trying to figure out what really matters in my life and what I should let go of.  Now, after that lesson, I'm utterly lost again.

We read The Myth of Sisyphus, illuminating one of Camus's theories.  His overall statement is that Sisyphus’s fate is no different and no worse than our own.  There is no hope in our lifetime.  Our life is simply what we make of it. I agree with this statement. Everyone has the ability to look at life either optimistically or pessimistically but, in my opinion, there are other things in life that we don't have control of that can make this theory harder to live by.

For example, one argument I made in my evaluation of Camus's theory was mental disorders. While watching an interview with Louie C.K. he talked about acknowledging the sorrows of life and living through them instead of hiding from them by, for example, going on our phones. I agree that facing your fears and being aware of certain emotions in life is important but the amount you focus on them is questionable to me. With mental disorders such as depression, you tend to focus on the bad at an extreme level which can be dangerous at times. That's also why I feel it is important to have relationships with people. Even though you are, in the end, the one that overcomes these struggles, it is still incredibly important to have the support from friends and family to help you both during and after recovery.

Overall, I find his theory interesting and I'm willing to look at my life more through his idea but I don't think I want to detach myself from the relationships I have made and sacrifice the possibility to create the amazing memories I do with them.


No comments:

Post a Comment