Monday, October 17, 2016

Maybe I Just Like the Color Purple

In modern day America, we are constantly surrounded by the ¨systems¨ that our English class has recently deemed fake. If I turn on the radio at any point, there is a very large chance that the song that is playing relates to love, family, religion, or friendship. While we have been taught that these subjects are the "essence" of life by society, the newly introduced topic of existentialism discusses the fact that humans use said values to cover up the inevitable suffering in our daily lives. And, if by chance the music does not revolve around one of those topics, but death or pain instead, it is most likely the artist's intention to make such pain and sadness easier by writing and performing musical pieces.

So, if I am to completely agree with Camus for a second and ponder the fact that I will only be truly happy once I come to terms with the fact that the only event that will occur in my life for certain is death, I will still find myself being unhappy. "Impossible!" Camus would say. However, I think quite the opposite. Sure, pain and suffering is inevitable and coming to terms with that horrific statement may make it a bit easier, but that does not mean that I cannot believe in love or surround myself by what I consider to be my family and friends! It does not at all mean that I simply go to temple to further cover up the sadness that is bound to invade my life at some point or another, nor does it mean I can't go on an adventure with the sole purpose of exploring the world around me. 

Think about this, all you Camus followers. And, I'm not at all trying to criticize you or say that I do not see your point of view, because I honestly do. But, Camus focuses on the idea that we must break away from society and have our own beliefs. We should not keep our hair long or cut it short just because we have to fit the gender standards that society has subconsciously assigned. You may even consider that I only like the color purple because it is a very common feminine color of interest and I am just following in the footsteps of the important female figures in front of me. Whose to say I don't like the color purple because I just like it? Not because of anyone else's influence or gender norms, but because I discovered the color one day and thought, "hey, this color is for me!" ?

I highly agree with the fact that society has implicated very strong standards, whether it be gender or racially based. I also think, however, that it is very hard to be an individual with different opinions and beliefs from everyone else. At some point, we come together to agree that certain things are better than others. So why say that it is wrong to come to such a consensus? I do think that it is important to be unique and an individual, but at the same time, I personally never could have gotten to this point without the support and love from people in my life, nor do I think I would be any happier if I did. And while those people have had great influences on my life, I still feel as though I am living my own life, not just one that society has created.  

2 comments:

  1. This illuminates a gaping hole in existentialism that I don't think can be covered up very easily, if at all, by any answers it attempts to provide. Really made me think

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete