Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Three Words I Never Thought I'd Hear Together: Wish, Execution and Hate

"For everything to be consummated, for me to feel less alone, I had only to wish that there be a large crowd of spectators the day of my execution and that they greet me with cries of hate."

The last line of The Stranger was very powerful for me. It surprised me and summed up the essence of Meursault's character. At first, I thought that he was just being arrogant. But then, I thought that maybe he wanted to leave his mark on those who disliked his way of living. His life would've had meaning if he elicited a negative emotional response in his haters. Would be at peace knowing that the rest of society hated him? Would he have been glad to leave the world where he was unwanted? He won the game of life by being at peace with himself. He did not feel the need to change just because society said so. Part of me hates him, yet the other part admires him. 

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. While reading the novel I was always annoyed by Meursault's character. But then, I realized that maybe I don't like him because he goes against society's standards that I am so used to. For example, his detachment from all of his relationships made me feel somewhat uncomfortable and his rather cold perspective at this mother's funeral nearly angered me. But now that I realize he was simply being independent and not conforming to society, I too now admire him. But a part of me still dislikes him as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually thought it was his way of saying that he didn't care about what the people thought of him. He had cast of societies binds so why would he want to make a mark on them? I think of it as his way of saying f*** you on his way to death. He didn't care what they thought of him and he thought their society was misguided. He was thinking "they can go on living their lives like this and I will have nothing of it." I think his point is that it wouldn't affect them and it was okay with him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said! I'm definitely feeling a similar conflict to you, and had the same reaction to the last sentence. I think, ultimately, that being a nonconformist doesn't have to equate being universally hated. If that's what Meursault wants, though, I guess that's fine for him.

    ReplyDelete