Thursday, October 13, 2016

Emile Griffith, The Man in the Ring

I decided to join my English class to the University of Chicago to see a play called The Man in the Ring. The play takes place in the 1960s- 1970s. The play was about a foreign man named Emile Griffith who suffers from dementia and chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE). He has frequent night terrors about the bad things that have happened in his life. We learn about his past. He was a young adult when he came to America looking to become a baseball player. He went to a factory looking for work and the boss of the factory suggested that he does boxing. He goes on to win many boxing matches and many boxing titles. One notable boxing match was when he killed a man in the ring. This ending up haunting him for the rest of his life. It is worth mentioning that the boxer is gay. That wasn't the problem. The problem was how explicit they were about it. I watched two men fore playing sex on a bed. Not only did I find this unnecessary but fit seemed irrelevant to the story. You're probably thinking I am homophobic because I probably wouldn't be complaining if it was a man and a woman fore playing sex. Well to be honest I wouldn't be complaining but that doesn't mean I am homophobic or I don't accept gays in anyway. Look I find two men kissing uncomfortable but they definitely have the right to do that. I just feel that some of those scenes were not needed and for some people in the audience it was unwanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment