Friday, October 21, 2016

A Nabokovian Way of Watching a Movie

Recently, we have been watching the movie Trust. Unfortunately, I was out the first day and so I was originally rather confused. However, as time as gone on and I have watched more of the film I have actually come to enjoy my lack of character development.

The early part of the movie sets up much of the internal strife between characters. However, lacking any of this knowledge I have been able to view the film more objectively and without bias. This very Nabokovian way of experiencing literature has been a unique and challenging experience for me. I cannot empathize with the characters and am thus forced to look at them objectively and try to understand who they are and what they represent.

This new perspective has been an interesting and fulfilling experience that going forward I will try to emulate but with whole story.

1 comment:

  1. I never really thought of the connection to the Nabokovian way of experiencing literature. Thinking back on the movie, you are right because even if I had tried to connect with the characters, there would have been no way. This did force this new setting which I had never experienced before. I really like this connection.

    ReplyDelete