Monday, October 3, 2016

Marie and Mersault

If I had to pick the one strangest thing from the text, I would say it was the interaction between the woman Marie and Mersault. The interaction in itself I guess wasn't too bizarre but I found the placement in the story when it seems relatively unimportant. But then again, it doesn't really seem to coherent at all through the first three chapters.

He had a connection with her in the past, and then they met again after his mother's funeral. Personally, I don't know if I'd be up for a connection with an old acquaintance after mourning my own mother, and I guess that added to the oddity of the whole situation. It was also quite an abrupt transition from waking up, thinking about his boss, and then directly into his interaction with Marie. And then again, an abrupt transition out of it. It seems like it almost wasn't worth putting in the story at all because it's sort of irrelevant. But, then again, a lot of the first three chapters doesn't really seem to fit together to make any logical story besides the uninteresting life a middle aged Frenchman living in Algeria.

No comments:

Post a Comment