Friday, October 14, 2016

Existentialism in The Stranger

The ending of The Stranger perfectly captures the ideas of existentialism. At first Meursault is having a hard time accepting the fact that he will be executed because he feels he does not deserve to die. He is entrapped in the worldly view of justice and it is not until Meursault rids himself of his false hope that he can come to terms with his execution. His acceptance eventually leads to his happiness. Meursault says,
"As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself—so like a brother, really—I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again. For everything to be consummated, for me to feel less alone, I had only to wish that there be a large crowd of spectators the day of my execution and that they greet me with cries of hate."
Once Meursault accepts that life has no meaning and that life can only lead to death, he is set free. He is free from the societal systems people tried to impose on him and he is free to be himself. For Meursault, embracing the ideals of existentialism allows him to live authentically.

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree! It is interesting where living authentically made Meursault end up. I don't know if I think that Meursault is truly happy with his result or if he is just trying very hard to cover up his true fear? Or if that fear surged back up inside him for the seconds that the knife was on its way down?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting question but I think that maybe he is happy because he no longer fears death. I think that he realized that death is inevitable and that it's nothing to be afraid of.

      Delete
  2. I feel like Meursault knew that death was inevitable ever since Maman died, hence his lack of sadness at her funeral. I believe that he has always understood that death is inevitable, however due to his adjustment in prison he had to reorient himself into believing the true meaning of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agreed with your post, and this is how I interpreted it when I first read it. But I think that Didi has a point that he always felt death was inevitable. But I think that maybe it was subconscious, and that he did not truly realize it until he was faced with death himself. Also, I guess this may just be my disagreement with existentialism, but I don't really see the point in being authentically you just for the few days before you die, it seems like it doesn't really matter at this point.

    ReplyDelete