Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Who is to blame for racism in the United States

I am not here to point a finger at any particular person our group, and trust me there are many people to blame for racist beliefs that have ran through America since it was formed. In my eyes racism is never going to end until we stop pointing fingers, and come together as a whole.

A song and video that has stuck with me since it came out last year was ¨I´m not Racist¨ by Joyner Lucas. If you have heard the song, I hope you were as moved by it as I was, and if you haven´t heard it then you really should give it a listen (and watch). Half of the 7 minute song is a racist white man wearing a MAGA hat spitting racial slurs left and right at a young black man who just sits there and listens. Then the white man stops and give the black man a chance to say his side of the story. After about 3 minutes of the black man saying his perspective on racism and culture and America, the two come together and hug it out vouching to understand each others side and work together to end racism.

I think the message of the song is the answer to stop racism in America. People on both sides need to stop blaming the other, and everyone needs to come together as a group. If each side feels attacked by the other then there will never be progress.

1 comment:

  1. That video from Joyner Lucas was extremely powerful and it was so well produced I thought the white man was Joyner Lucas on first watch. The video is a great representation of mutual recognition because they recognize each others opinions at the end which is how it should be.

    ReplyDelete