Tuesday, October 30, 2018

VR Isn't Empathy

Virtual reality is exciting. It entices us to new experiences, and it symbolizes the revolution of technology in our modern world. For some, though, it can be literally and figuratively dizzying. Especially when paired with a topic as heavy as the migrant plight, I am hesitant to suggest VR to someone who is looking to better his/her understanding of the topic.

It was not my first time using virtual reality headsets when I strapped one onto my head in my English class a few days ago. It most likely would not be the last time, either. As my eyes adjusted to the somewhat blurry picture, I saw the title of the video: The Displaced. As I had been given background on what I was going to watch, I thought the title was clever and poignant. It had captured my attention, and the allure of VR had worked its magic and made me excited to continue watching. Here, I caution the audience to recognize that "excitement" is not the emotion they may expect someone to feel before watching a video about the not-so-pretty tales of migrant children. But nonetheless, there I was.

As I continued watching, I could not find myself to focus so much on the children's stories as I could the heavy box weighing on my cheeks and the captions that required me to physically turn my body to read. Sure, I absorbed the story, and I understand that this blog should be centered around that. However, I find myself challenged to do so when the VR experience was so much on its own that I could not fully articulate a deeper understanding of the refugees' situations. And however I may wish to sympathize -- for I do not feel capable of empathizing, as I do not know their experiences for myself -- I think that in what was supposed to be the most real and raw way to see their lives, I found myself distracted and annoyed with the device I was using.

So what I must say of my takeaways, from the parts I was able to focus on, is that the children in the video are our near-polar opposites. We attempt to feel what they feel through a video on our phones, and a piece of technology only available to the most advanced. They, on the other hand, are perhaps some of the most non-materialistic humans I have ever seen. Among the rubble of what was once their homes and neighborhoods, the video ended on clips of the kids explaining how they find fulfillment and happiness in each other's presence, without a piece of tech in site. I think we have a lot to learn from them.

6 comments:

  1. I agree with the idea that we as observers of the things these children have to go through cannot truly be empathetic and must settle for being sympathetic to their suffering. However, I believe that the VR immersive experience does not really suffer from the physical annoyance of the headset. I found myself able to lose myself in my new surroundings and temporarily forget I was at school while experiencing the new places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you're right because we will probably never have the experience that these children have, however, I do not think that people are unable to empathize with these children even if they don’t have the same experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was absent in class when we used the headsets and instead watched the videos with the 360 option on a computer. Although I found the footage powerful and moving, I agree with you that we can never understand the lives that migrant children live. The irony that we attempt to live their experiences through technology only available to the wealthy should signal to us that we must reflect on how privileged we are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I'm doing virtual reality, of course I still know I'm not there experiencing what my eyes see. I am unable to get the full, complete experience. However, this doesn't mean I can't engage in the VR and try to pretend like I'm there. Although I agree with you that we can never get a full understanding of life as a refugee, I do believe we can get closer through it and still feel empathy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your take on the VR, I completely agree. We are watching, that doesn't mean were helping the cause or even never getting a full understanding of life as a refugee but we are becoming more aware and education ourselves better. But there is more we can do to help than just watch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you make a good point about VR. I think it would be easy for many people to say they understand what's like after watching only a few minutes of someone else's life. Some people may think they are bettering themselves because they are taking the time to look into someone else's life. Although most will not take action beyond that because there's a limit to their sympathy.

    ReplyDelete