Friday, October 5, 2018

Your Eurocentric Humor Does Not Entertain Me

While reading "Citizen," I realized how ignorant and oppressive our classroom space was, especially as a Black woman being taught a book about race by a white male. Although, I guess I connected to this book in regards to the neglect of Black woman in English Literature. The book really focused on the Black male perspective, which led me to think about Black female authors and how we are always the ones to advocate for women's rights and Black rights. We are always at the forefront of the action, but yet our obstacles and accomplishments are always dismissed from the narrative. Overall, I didn't like the book nor felt like I grew from it, but I guess in an all-white space, that's when we are most noticed.
 
Image result for black women art




1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your truth in a conversation that I agree isn't being contributed to by enough of the right people. While it is important that white people do not think themselves victims, and unable to contribute at all since they don't share these experiences, I would argue this is exactly why they should participate; if we aren't willing to even be a part of the conversation that is trying to solve the problem, we just become a larger part of it.

    ReplyDelete