Wednesday, October 31, 2018

A Cause for Reflection

The biggest wow moment for me when watching the Syrian refugee video was when the family in focus was eating breakfast together and talking about how people around the world don’t realize how fortunate they are to have electricity and water on a daily basis. The mother goes on to explain the resources that the western world takes for granted, which can be directly applied to my life in America. As she talks about this, her family is sitting cross-legged on the floor (there’s barely any furniture in the room), eating small amounts of food.

To see her two, young children in acceptance of their situation and not complaining makes me rethink how I need to view my life. I have the opportunities to take long showers, to have a comfortable bed to sleep in, to have heating and cooling systems, to drink when I’m thirsty, to contemplate what I want to wear, to sleep in on weekends. Almost all of these listed items aren't basic human needs, which they struggle with everyday. After watching this video, I feel the need to be more conscious of how I interact with the people and things around me and be more appreciative of what I have. Although I’ve felt this need for self-reflection in the past, I’ve always failed to maintain this mind-set because I get wrapped up in my own life and “problems”.

I have found that simply watching this 9-minute video was more impactful than reading about Saeed and Nadia’s life. There is no replacement for seeing and hearing about the devastation that plagues so many of the Earth’s population. That is not to say that I can understand in anyway how migrants feel or live. But, I feel that the 360 experience leaves a larger imprint than Exit West. Literature leaves too much to the imagination, and it doesn’t pull on our ability to sympathize as much. Although Hamid crafts an enthralling narrative, I cannot visualize the war zones or refugee camps or begin to imagine leaving behind a family member simply because I have not been exposed to that extreme desperation and poverty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=cNraqiAwTPQ


1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with what you said here, Sophia. It is easy to get caught in a state of selfishness where even the smallest issue makes you feel like the world is crashing down. The VR definitely provided an opportunity to take a step back and reflect on the privilege the Western world is completely surrounded by.

    ReplyDelete