Wednesday, October 31, 2018

A Virtual Escape To Lebanon


I'm a huge fan of virtual reality, and putting myself into the shoes of someone else. Whether it's virtual reality race car driving, or looking through the eyes of a Syrian refugee, I'm always fascinated with the point of view. When delving into The Displaced (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecavbpCuvkI&t=435s), a virtual reality video following three children refugees, I was really shocked. Unlike the virtual reality car racing, the visuals and topics that the viewer sees are not fun or entertaining. The children who are forced to flee their country live such a drastically different life than anyone I know. They are forced to be extremely independent in order to survive, and they are doing things I could never do. What shocked me most is when Hana, a girl from Syria, told us about her experience living in Lebanon. She escaped to Lebanon when she was only nine, and now lives in a poor settlement. She talks about how the Lebanese don’t like the refugees and how they aren’t good to them. I know seeking asylum isn’t easy, and a lot of people will try to get in the way, but I would think locals would be understanding of those who need safety and are just fighting for their life. Hana also makes Syria sound like heaven before they were forced to leave. She talks about all the toys she had, and all the things she had with her. She seemed to love her life in Syria, which sounds strange to me because life in Syria seems so bad compared to somewhere like America.

Syria is always portrayed poorly in the news, and it is a very scary place, but it doesn’t mean children can’t have fun or be happy. Locals who live in poor communities still make the best of it, and find ways to have a good life, which is something I find interesting. Hana’s story about moving to Lebanon and her escape from Syria was extremely fascinating, and a lot of what she had to say about Syria surprised me. Although I didn't actually experience what Hana went through, or even see most of it through the virtual reality, I do believe I have a better understanding of her struggle, and the video was very eye opening to me.

2 comments:

  1. I also think it is very cool that we can see people having fun in a time of question and worry, it is humbling -Riley T

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seemed as though in this video, Hana found comfort in her home country, Syria, as that was what brought her comfort. I agree on how it is hard to understand the differences in quality of life, with us living in America which has much more opportunities than Syria.

    ReplyDelete