Thursday, October 4, 2018

Do you even care at all?

"That evening Marie came by to see me if I wanted to marry her. I said it didn't make any difference to me and that we could if she wanted to. Then she wanted to know if I loved her. I answered the same way I had the last time, that I didn't mean anything but that I probably didn't love her. "So why marry me, then?" she said. I explained to her that it didn't really matter and that if she wanted to, we could get  married." (41.)

From these few sentences in chapter 5 of The Stranger, we could really tell how nonchalant and unconcerned Meursault really was within part 1. His attitude towards Marie asking him did he want to marry her and if he loved her, is almost non-existent. I believe that's what separates himself from other characters in the book so far. I think he does have love for Marie, but isn't in love with her. It's almost like he doesn't care if he commits or not.

Same concept in chapter 1 of The Stranger. When Maman dies, he has this casual attitude like the person who gave birth to him didn't just leave the earth for forever. In a way, I want to say that maybe his emotions just haven't sunk in yet. But, maybe Meursault really does just have the untroubled feeling about everything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment