Friday, October 5, 2018

Sociopath...or maybe just an arrogant genius

In our class discussion, many people voiced their thoughts that Mersault is a sociopath because he does not seem to care about anything. He's indifferent about marriage, job promotions, and even his mothers death. Nothing phases him. While it would be reasonable to think that these are traits of a sociopath, I believe that Mersault thinks that people are just nuisances to him. 

Mersault reminds me of Sherlock Holmes. If you have seen the show Sherlock, you know that whenever some horrible thing happens, Sherlock is unfazed and just wants to investigate. Sherlock's reasoning for not caring about other things is because he has superior intelligence to everyone else and "normal people problems" are insignificant to someone of his intelligence. I think Sherlock and Mersault share this mindset and  this makes me wonder why Mersault has not become a famous detective.

2 comments:

  1. What gives you the perspective that he thinks he's better/more intelligent than everyone else? I think that's a really interesting take but I just feel like he's too detached to care about comparing his level of intelligence/quality of person to anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your connection to Sherlock Holmes to some degree. I do not necessarily think that Mersualt believes he is smarter than everyone else. I do not think he compares himself to others.

    ReplyDelete