Saturday, October 20, 2018

I Get The Point...But I Still Hate Meursault

In an age in which people have generally begun to feel comfortable dissecting the "holy grail" classics, The Stranger is not safe from criticism. Though the book has praised for a half-century as one of the most profound pieces of literature in human history it's far from flawless. While I can appreciate the core, radical message of the book, I still do not like the main character. It may be the point that us "sheeple" cannot accept the raw "truth" of Meursault's inner monologue but I still am angered by his actions. He treats women as objects, he's kinda racist, and overall is just generally a jerk. I do not take issue with unlikable characters when they are shown in a light which is not glorified.


Which leads me to the real problem I have with Meursault. Meursault is depicted as an absurd hero when he is really just someone who is so stubborn that they refuse to make comprises in their life. The 18th-century philosopher Immanuel Kant argued that it is inherently immoral to lie and therefore we should never do it. This is also reflected in Meursault's personal philosophy. While this may work in theory it is detrimental in practice. We all must make comprises in our life (especially if we are not rich white men) but by glorifying a callous adherence to this moral code, it allows the disregard of other peoples feelings to be validated and praised. This selfish determination to be complete truth regardless of how it makes people feel is a concept which logically I can understand but can never respect.


1 comment:

  1. Meursault had been acting bratty throughout the novel and I agree that he had been treating others in a bad manner, however, Meursault knows that he lacks remorse and emotion for what is going on, but he wants to fix it. He knows that his numbness causes issues for many people.

    ReplyDelete