Thursday, October 4, 2018

How I Related To Citizen

Throughout reading citizen I was not able to relate to many of the situations that were brought up while reading Citizen. Being a white boy in the class, there wasn't much for me to relate to while reading. But I was able to relate to the story when Rankine said, "Each time it begins in the same way, it doesn’t begin the same way, it doesn’t begin the same way, each time it begins the same. Flashes a siren, the stretched-out roar."(107). I wasn't able to relate to this because of any of my experiences, but rather, my dads experiences that he has shared with me. As my dad immigrated from Ecuador, he has told me many stories where he was subject to discrimination. One story he told me was he was driving with a brake light out, so he got pulled over. When the officer came up to the window and talked w my dad, he immediately asked him if he has a social security number, which he did. My dad was shocked at the question but followed through with the question. As my dads story isn't the same as the stories in citizen, the sentence on pg 107 made me think of my dads stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment