Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Meursault

I think Meursault's lack of emotion and distant disposition really sets a precedent for how he reacts to ever situation that happens in the book. So far there hasn't been an event meaningful enough to evoke emotion form Meursault, including the death of his mother. For example, when Meursault was listening to Raymond' s story and Raymond had asked for his advice and suggested that they be "pals" Meursault remained silent until Raymond asked again. Meursault's response was short and had little emotion or desire behind it. Simply saying " I said it was fine with me". To me this gives off the impression of being selfish and having no compassion or empathy for others. As a reader it makes me think that there is a deeper issue that is the cause of his lack of emotion. To me I believe that Meursault is depressed and feels like he can't find a purpose for himself which could explain how many times while reading certain passages I am under the impression he lives in a haze and nothing holds any value or significance to him. When Meursault is out on the balcony he says " Then we sat and smoked for awhile without saying anything...He remarked how quickly the time passed, and in a way it was true. I felt sleepy, but it was hard for me to get up." I think this scene perfectly paints a picture of how he lives his day to day life. He is a very simple character with very limited expressed desires and determination. The fact that he sits in silence and manages to lose track of time shows how he has a lot on his mind but yet Meursault has not expressed any of these thoughts, allowing for a huge disconnect in his emotions which are displayed to the reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment