Sunday, October 15, 2017

The stranger was a fascinating book. From the beginning, I could tell it would be an interesting read because Meursault starts out nonchalantly saying his mother died. Now, no one can casually say their mother has died. Just thinking that evokes a little emotion from me, but for him, it was easy to say. When most people die, their relatives will cry and remember the good stuff about when they were alive. For example, when I was 9 my grandmother died. At the time I didn't really understand the fact that she was dying. It never really effected me the way it effected my grandpa or my dad. I remember when they told me she passed. I was eating pancakes at a diner with my mom across the street from the hospital. I guess they didn't want me in the room when it happened, but my dad and grandfather came into the diner and sat with me and my mom and they told me what happened. The odd thing was, I wasn't really fazed. Maybe the fact that I knew it was coming mixed with me being so young. When I went home about a couple months later, it finally hit me. When Meursault went insane onto the priest and let out all of his anger at the world in between gasps of air, It reminded me of when I was 9, and I finally realized my grandmother was gone. I had all these emotions running through me, but I forced them down, only to have them be released later in life.

2 comments:

  1. I had an experience just like this when I was younger. My Grandmother died from an aggressive form of Brain Cancer when I was in second grade. She had been sick for so long, and there was nothing that the doctors could do to save her anymore. When we are young, I believe our conception of death is skewed. We do not fully understand that we cannot exist in this world anymore. That may be why we do not experience these emotions at that exact time and why as we get older, we start to see how valuable our lives are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting take on Meursault's character. From my understanding, you are comparing him to a child. I see where you are coming from, given that children tend to not be emotionally mature. However, I think that Meursault is fully aware that his mother is truly dead. I think that he is choosing to act as if it not a big deal, it's not that he doesn't understand what her death really means. Meursault is a grown man and completely capable of wrapping his head around death, unlike a child.

    ReplyDelete