Sunday, October 15, 2017

The End to The Stranger

After Meursault's meeting with the chaplain, who insists that Meursault turn to god in the wake of his death sentence, he goes into a blind rage. Meursault describes, "As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself—so like a brother, really—I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again. For everything to be consummated, for me to feel less alone, I had only to wish that there be a large crowd of spectators the day of my execution and that they greet me with cries of hate" (122). In this moment Merusault realizes just as he has indifference to the world so does the world have indifference to him. He moves through this indifference throughout the novel but he doesn't fully accept and acknowledge it until he realizes the impossibility of avoiding his death. The personal indifference to human affairs is the same for both the universe and Meursault which evokes him to label the world as a "brother". At this point in the end of the novel Meursault also finds true happiness. He is happy with his position in society and doesn't wish to change it. The only thing he wishes for is to "feel less alone".

I'm not sure I liked the ending of the book. Why did they have to give Meursault the death penalty? It was only his first offense and it wasn't like he was some mass murderer. They could have gave him life in prison instead of the death penalty. Yes, he had no remorse over killing the man and yes he didn't cry at his mothers funeral but that's just Meursault. I think it would have been a little interesting if Meursault could have spent a little more time in prison with his thoughts. It also could have developed his character possibly a little more. The and only thing that I can say I did like about the end of the book was when Meursault had his realization. In my opinion the author developed it wisely in a way that it wasn't to confusing to understand. Overall, I give the ending 3 out of 5 stars.

2 comments:

  1. I think Camus ended the book abruptly with Meursault getting his head chopped off as another ode to existentialism. By having everyone else choose his fate for himself speaks to a bigger idea of the world being in control, the abruptivness and randomness being in control. I think having the book end this quick fit with the rest of story, but I agree on a general scheme of things it is quite strange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the trial focused a lot of Meursaualt's lack of emotion and remorse and how he is threat to society. So I think verdict was execution because the jury they didn't want Meursault's mindset poisoning society. I agree about liking Meursault's realization. It was first time Meursault explicitly showed outward emotion. But, his character was still too stagnant for me.

    ReplyDelete