Thursday, October 19, 2017

Relating to Meursault

I have a upbeat personality, at least I think so.  I'm able to connect with others by being goofy and talking about common interests. I think those are good qualities of mine.

When we began reading The Stranger, I related to Meursault;  which is ironic because we seem to be complete opposites. I mean his honesty is harsh, and hes out of touch with society, but his poker face is what I can relate to. His mother died, and he doesn't seem interested in knowing when she died. The day after the funeral, he carries on with life like it's just another day. Now, reading this I'm absolutely horrified, because if my mother died, I would be in pieces. Meursault seemed completely normal, and maybe that's just his poker face. He's doing the complete opposite of what someone should be doing while mourning, but maybe that's his way to cope.

Now, I still think I would've reacted way differently to the death of my mother; but I understand putting on a strong poker face. I'm not always happy, or upbeat, but it's easier to act that way than for everyone else. It's easier for a lot of people.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you because I would also be in pieces if my mother died. I also think that Meursault is just 100% different because maybe he is mourning but he's doing it in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your blog post and I agree with it. Meursault's way of coping with his mother's death really might just be trying to shut it out and pretending that nothing ever happened. Or, it could be that Meursault really just doesn't care and he understands that his mothers dead is just something that happens to everyone. Either way, I really enjoyed your blog post and if he uses a "poker face" to grieve over his mothers death, then he has a very good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although we as readers know Meursault's thoughts and can see how little his mother's death truly bothers him, I think it's interesting how quick people in the story are to judge him. "Stonewalling" emotionally may be how some people cope, even if internally they were much more distressed then Meursault. Somehow Meursault's persecution seemed plausible to me, and it got me wondering how many people in real life have been condemned due to their lack of emotion/repentance, even if it was just a way to cope in their case.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that you are definitely right about the poker face situation with Meursault and his grieving over his mother. It got me thinking that maybe most of the time people actually have poker faces on. You were talking about how sometimes it's easier to be bubbly and happy than to show how you are really feeling. When people fall apart it is easier to not recognize their own feelings of self doubt and pity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is hard to tell what Meursaults true feelings were because of his blunt poker face. He seems like a professional, although there were some parts where he began to fall apart like at the trial and he felt like he was no longer in control. That he was delt a bad hand, and began to looses his cool. I really like that you brought this up, and I like the comparison to poker.

    ReplyDelete