Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Review of Trust

I had many problems with the movie. Mainly, the characters did not develop enough to make any  of them likable. They stayed too stagnant to "root" for a character. At the beginning of the movie, Maria was very naive. She thinks everything will work out and be happy between her and her high school boyfriend because "love conquers all." She did not put any thought about how much money it costs to raise a child, where they are going to live, and the sacrifices that are going to happen. By the end of the movie, she is still naive. She wants to marry Matthew, and still thinks everything is going magically work out in the end. They probably have known each other for a month. I don't know the exact timeline. Maria doesn't even know the definitions of words people use everyday. The fact that she didn't know what naive meant made me cringe. Also, the way Maria pronounced naive was unacceptable to me. In addition, she ran into the building that Matthew was going to blow up. Where is her judgement? Matthew was the same brooding and dark man throughout the movie. However, at least I can somewhat understand why he acts the way he does because of his extremely abusive father. Matthew had common sense and was realistic about things. Also, I liked how he called it how it was. Maria's mom was very uncomfortable to watch. Also, Matthew's dad made me uncomfortable. He screamed at Matthew for not cleaning the bathroom, even though Matthew cleaned it endlessly. Second, there was not a clear plot. In my opinion, it was just the daily adventures of Maria. Finally, the characters were too predictable. The whole movie was awkward and I could not enjoy it, in my opinion.

Discussion Question: What were your thoughts about the film?

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your statement that the characters were not very well developed. I wanted so badly to like the characters, but I felt like they just weren't ever made likable. I think the main personality trait we got from Maria was naive, and while that can be considered a trait, I feel like it's more an appearance. I wish there had been more development throughout the film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with your statement that the characters were not very well developed. I wanted so badly to like the characters, but I felt like they just weren't ever made likable. I think the main personality trait we got from Maria was naive, and while that can be considered a trait, I feel like it's more an appearance. I wish there had been more development throughout the film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree with you! Specifically, I agree with the fact that the characters showed little evolution. Also, I relate to you because I was uncomfortable watching certain characters too! I also think that overall, the movie had a very awkward demeanor which made it hard to like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I four agree with you on the development of the characters. Marie's character was hard to like because she was so focused on Anthony and getting married with him that she did not take the time to realize that babies are expensive. Not only are they expensive but also she was a high school student with no job. I did like the fact how Marie tried to determine her future and she broke down the barriers of the old her with Anthony and tried to become a new person. The movie was strange with a very weird ending and it contained weird character relationships.

    ReplyDelete